De-Clutter and Recycle for Earth Day (or everyday)
Earth Day is a major holiday for us - not just in a traditional retailing sense of big sales and store promotions - but as a reminder about what we love to do.
We are recyclers everyday. Our mission is to help local families earn money from recycling items that they no longer need or want. We sell those items and share the proceeds with the original family - the consignors 50/50.
- We say Win-Win but it’s really Win to the 5th power with the community, the earth, the consignor family, the new item’s owner and the store winning and saving with each sale we make at Little Green Beans.
It’s easy to start a recycling habit - place a bin or box in your garage or spare closet with the items that your kids outgrow just after they wear them and you wash them for the last time.
- If items such as clothing are out of season but are still in good condition start a second box marked for the season when another family could use them (e.g. for Fall 2012).
Choose one day each month or season, depending on the size of your family to clear out and declutter unwanted and unused toys, games, books and that gear that is no longer useful to you.
- When doing so always consider the value that another family would place on your items. Is the doll missing her hair or does the skirt have a broken zipper?
- If it’s really not going to be suitable for sale, find another use for it or ask us to recycle it for you with one of our non-profit partners.
- If an item has been recalled, find a responsible way to dispose of it so that no child can be harmed with it please.
If you are not in the habit of recycling your children’s items Earth Day, Sunday April 22nd is a great day to start and resolve to continue.
To find out about other Earth Day 2012 events in Austin see here.