- 7:42 am - Wed, Aug 1, 2012
By Sharon Munroe
Imagine a child not having a birthday celebration with a cake? Hundreds of children in our local Austin community might go without if it not for the exceptional all-volunteer Bake A Wish Austin organization.
I was very moved by the mission of this nonprofit and the huge unmet need in our community, which is why they are in our Spotlight for August. When I imagine a child, not unlike my own foster daughter without a birthday celebration with cake, I was saddened.
- On our Jasmine’s birthday in early August, I made sure that another local child who is also celebrating a birthday will get a cake.
About Bake A Wish
Since September 2009, children’s birthday cakes have been handmade and delivered to children who have seen abuse and neglect in Greater Austin.
Today their mission also includes serving elderly and disabled Austinites in affordable housing communities. 1,800 total deliveries have been made!
Such a simple process…
- 20 Austin-area agencies request a custom cake for the the child or elder.
- Donations of cash and gift cards help offset the costs of running the nonprofit, volunteers’ cake baking supplies, and cake delivery.
- Make it Sweet, Little Green Beans’ neighbor at the Crossroads Shopping Center provides gift cards to the volunteers for their supplies and has done so for many years. We applaud their ongoing outreach and support!
- Cakes are baked, decorated and delivered each week.
To learn more about becoming a Bake A Wish volunteer and supporting them with a donation, please visit www.bakeawishaustin.org. Follow them on Facebook.